Monday, August 3, 2009

I am bored!

I have been a waiter for over twenty years and for the first time in my life I got fired. Well I cannot blame anyone for this other than myself but it was all a big misunderstanding. I have never worked for a more difficult group of clientele in my life. Toojays Gourmet Deli! The place started in West Palm beach by a couple jewish men named Jay, hence Toojays. The people that come into that place were impossible. Picky as hell and just plain rude. I am surprised that I lasted as long as I did. I got into trouble because I am the type of guy who wears his emotions right there on my shirt sleeve. This has gotten me into hot water before and I am sure it will again. Do you think that I will change? HELL NO! I would get pissed off at people and I couldn't hide that in my facial expressions, so then the customers would bitch to the management about me. I was warned a couple times, they took tables away from me, anything they thought would work. I was so burned out there. The day I was to be fired started out okay, It was on a Sunday afternoon. The restaurant was dead. We were sitting around waiting for business to begin. A waitress decided that she was ill at that point and went to the managers and cried like something was wrong. The only thing that was wrong was that she had to be there. They wound up sending her home and that left us with six servers on the floor and put me into a seven or eight table station. I don't know about you but I can't handle seven or eight tables. The restaurant then filled up and all of a sudden I had six tables, a couple or three four tops, a deuce and a couple three tops. Everyone came in at once. Everyone wanted their food at once. The whole restaurant was deep in the weeds.
I was seated with a young couple and their three young children at a table in the back near the bathrooms. The lady couldn't get the child to her breast quick enough and they sat down. They asked me what I had for the children to drink. I went through the list and mentioned "apple juice." The smallest kid in a high chair started grabbing at my apron and screaming "I want apple juice, I want Apple juice" nonstop. I guess that I must have given them a nasty look because they called for their stuff to go. Anyway, I won't bore you with much more, after that I went home and on my next shift I was gone. Easy come easy go!

No comments:

Post a Comment